Saturday, February 4, 2012

Back to Work

So It's been FOREVER since I've written a blog! I been at home enjoying family and friends for Christmas and now I'm back in Ghana. I've been back for three weeks now and I am definitely back in the swing of things. I am very thankful for my friends here who make it a bit easier to leave my Chicago life. God is good, providing me with everything I need!

The first week I got back, we had Spiritual Emphasis Week at school. The middle school and high school kids were packed into buses and taken to a local church where two men from the States encouraged and challenged them to follow after God. Mick and Rick have such a passion for youth and even though their southern style was a bit different from what our kids would describe as "cool," they were still able to make an impact. The last day was amazing because they had a "Say So" session. (Let the redeemed of the Lord say so!) The kids were given the opportunity to tell about what God is doing in their lives, how they are struggling, or what they are learning. I was amazed at my own doubt as we started the morning. I was sure that the kids didn't get much from the week. I was positive we would just sit there and stare at each other without saying a word. How could I doubt God so easily? God is amazing and his Word is powerful and active! The kids came up the microphones in droves. What a blessing to be able to hear how God is changing lives! Now as we are a couple weeks out from Spiritual Emphasis Week, I am challenged to continue to pray for my students. As the feelings dissipate, I pray the commitment remains!

We are starting discipleship groups at lunch on Fridays with the middle school and high school students. Hopefully this will be a great way for the students to go deeper in their faith. Many of them have a basic idea of Christianity, but few truly live it out. And even fewer have any idea in how to challenge their walk. Pray the kids will be open to participating in these groups. Kids not in the groups will have study hall and I just hope and pray they see a higher need for discipleship than study hall!

Last week we had our annual International Day. I love this day because it's different from the norm and we get to see all the students out of their red, green, and yellow AIS polo shirts! The students are supposed to wear traditional clothing from their home countries. Every year I am disappointed with the fact that Americans have nothing good to wear! The Koreans and Japanese look beautiful and delicate. The colors of the Ghanaian fabric are bright and bold. The Americans...wear jeans. Not quite as exciting as the other countries! This year was pretty fun though because one of the teachers/parents ordered Captain America shirts for all the American teachers. I also had Captain America shield that I had found over Christmas break! The kids loved it! I had so many elementary kids come up to me asking to see my shield, which was fun since I never really interact with the little ones! The day was full of presentations from different countries. I was so excited that I didn't have to come up with a presentation this year! The high school kids got extra credit for a class if they participated and presented. The kids did a really good job! I was impressed and I learned quite a bit! After the presentations the parents come and everyone shares a meal together. People bring food from their countries and it's fun being able to try some new things. I rarely get much food though since us teachers eat last and by that point most of the food is gone, but it's still a fun day just the same! I'm always in awe of God's creativity when I see how many differences there are in the people around the world. All these differences and God is still the God of us all. We are still so very alike. We all enjoy community, we find beauty in our cultures, and we need a Savior.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Glad you were able to be home and have Christmas with family and friends! So good to hear you are enjoying your time back in Ghana as well! Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete