Friday, December 2, 2011

Pantomime

So this week I have been really busy with "the panto."

Every year the International Players put on a "pantomime" which is a weird British thing. It's a play that has to do with fairy tale characters and the lead guy is always played by a girl and there is a "dame" who is a guy dressed as a girl. There is a lot of silliness and audience participation is expected. You know, booing at the villain and cheering on the heroes. That kind of thing. Maybe joining in a dance or song too. They say they like actors of all ages, but really it's mostly kids. They were looking for more adults so I decided to try out and finally fulfill my dream of being on stage! :) Ever since high school (after trying out every year for the musical and not getting in) I have been wanting to be part of a production. My dream is finally being fulfilled!

I got in, but I'm only in the chorus/circus. So I don't have any lines or anything. Just a few dances and I'm a back ground character so I just have to react to what's be said by the main cast. Even though it's only a bit part, I was probably way OVER excited when I found out I had a part! It was really fun because a few of my students were also chorus members and I was able to give them the good news that they got a part while we were at school (since I could check my email at school and they couldn't)! I nearly cried when I saw how excited they were. Jumping up and down and screaming was involved!

The other chorus members are all pretty much the younger siblings of those with main parts in the panto. So I pretty much spend all my time hanging with 10 to 12 year olds. I feel a bit ridiculous, but it's still fun. Since several of my students are in it, I've really enjoyed being able to do something outside of school with them.

Anyway, our first performance was yesterday. It went really well. Two more, tonight and tomorrow. They put a promo on YouTube so if you want to see kind of what it's about you can look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asQmyKm4LfQ&feature=youtu.be

2 comments:

  1. Yay Kim! How fun and sweet that you get to do it with your students. I bet they love that. I can totally imagine your expressive faces. :) I am sure you are doing a fabulous job!!

    ReplyDelete